Title: Thermoforming Technician
The Thermoforming Technician is responsible for ensuring the efficient mold/tool change and start-up of thermoforming jobs, troubleshooting thermoforming processing issues, and identifying/implementing opportunities for mold/tooling change time reduction (Single Minute Exchange of Dies), waste and scrap reduction, and overall equipment efficiency improvements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. NOTE: Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for thermoforming mold/tooling change staging/setup, including inspection/maintenance of tooling (with the assistance of the plant machinist, as necessary);
- Execute the efficient, reliable mold/tooling change per the production schedule, assisted by the machine operator(s); ensure that machine runs to standard/cycle, within scrap tolerances, and that any changes/deviations to the Standard Operating Setup Sheets are documented for future reference;
- Leads the Single Minute Exchange of Die initiatives, reducing changeover times and complexity, and accountable for efficient, effective job change start-ups;
- Maintains the Standard Operating Setup Sheet library; verifies deviations to setup and monitors line and product performance following such changes;
- Works with the plant machinist to ensure the proper care and maintenance of thermoforming molds and tooling;
- Assists the Plant Engineer with new told qualifications, as necessary;
- Troubleshoots process issues with the Operators and Plant Engineer;
- Sustain and drive lean manufacturing and 5S activities; maintains a clean and organized work area to facilitate manufacturing functions.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma / GED or relevant experience;
- 5-7 years experience in a technical thermoforming role (continuous sheet thermoforming);
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as mold/tool drawings and specifications, quality documents/control sheets, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Basic computer/PC experience; Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) desirable.
Skills and Abilities
- Technical expertise with continuous film thermoforming is a must; must have solid expertise performing mold/tooling changeovers;
- Experience identifying/implementing Single Minute Exchange of Die (SMED)/quick changeover initiatives;
- Good interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to function successfully in team environment; able to lead/collaborate with team members and gain buy-in through effective communication and team-oriented problem solving;
- Effective listening and good communication skills (verbal/written), ability to issue clear instructions;
- Good problem solving and conflict resolution skills;
- Consistent high degree of attention to detail, accurate completion of various forms / documents;
- Ability to comprehend and retain working knowledge of complete product line;
- Ability to multi-task and respond to changing priorities;
- Ability to promote and encourage process improvement initiatives to department staff;
- Good organization skills, demonstrated concern for good housekeeping.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individual will need to sit (at times for extended periods) or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface during the workday. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to move materials during the workday. Ability to lift up to 250 pounds using proper lifting techniques.
The work environment is that found in a light production, warehousing, shipping setting with primarily overhead lighting. The facility is temperature controlled, and the air quality is good. At times, individual will need to transition in and out of “clean room” production portion of space.